Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My favorite and least favorite stories

Out of the many short stories the class has read over the past five weeks, my favorite is "The Veldt." I really liked this story for its fun futuristic concepts and facinating use of technology. I loved the desciptions of the veldt. I thought the depscriptions were very vivid; I could "see" what the room looked like. I was also very intirigued by the characters and unexpected twist at the end. The characters the author used were very suspensful and used as clues to the ending. I loved the children,their parents, and their connection with the veldt; I thought it was a very accurate representation of the power of technolgy over the parents' roles within the family and the children's absorption of it.

My least favorite story was "Gorilla my love." I thought this story was hard to read and not very interesting. I thought the descriptions of where the characters were was very confusing. It was as if the Hazel was in the car driving back from the country and then all of the sudden she was seeing a movie. I honestly had to go on the internet and look the story up to understand it. I also did not like the part about Haze's uncle not keeping his promise to marry her. I knew she was a little girl when he promised but I found it disturbing how she was still upset about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment